Everest base camp, day 8, 9: The retreat

posted in: Uncategorized | 6
October 2014
If everything went well, we should have started towards
Lobuche. But things were not rosy. Subbu’s condition had become bad. Climbing
up was out of question. It would be foolish if we had tried in such conditions.
If two days of acclimatization could not solve the issue, climbing up would
never. There is no point in risking HACE or HAPE; both of which
are fatal.
Sunrises over Ama Dablam as we set to depart
One thing was clear. Having prior experience in High
Altitude trekking does not make one immune to AMS. It can strike any one at any
time at High Mountains.
The sad part about returning back is that we will never know
whether we took the right decision or not.
If it had taken five days to climb it, it took us just two
days to return back to Lukla with a night halt at Namche Bazaar. It was painful
to climb back the steep path towards Namche but the last climb to Lukla was the
toughest!!
When we reached Lukla, it was around 2PM. The weather had
turned bit cloudy. We wanted to avoid stay at Lukla and return to Kathmandu as
soon as possible. We had not ‘heard’ any flights for quite some time. And we
had to prepone our tickets also.
Tough life of locals
As we entered into the empty Lukla airport, we were whisked
to the tarmac without much delay. There was a flight about to land at Lukla!!
It did not matter when the return date was. As long as there were seats, we
could just jump in.
Everest seem from Tengboche
The security at Lukla airport was strange. They did not have
scanning machines and hence security consisted of few questions like whether we
were carrying banned items!! An answer “no” is enough to pass.
Shortly three flights landed at the airport and within 5
minutes we were flying on air!! The journey was more turbulent due to cloud
cover. The pilot was driving the flight like an auto rickshaw.
This would be the first view of Everest. Before Namche Bazaar
At 2PM we were trekking in the Everest region. Within an
hour, we were in the streets of Kathmandu. It was too much of a contrast for our
confused minds and body!!
Final words: 
Will I try again? I am not sure. But one thing is certain. I will not be trying the same itinerary again. It will be too much of repetition.  Combining with Gokyo or three pass trek can be thought off. But for now, I will be giving a break to Everest Base Camp for some time. 

6 Responses

  1. Sana Mysore

    I am sure it is hard decision to return without reaching the summit, but always a wise decision.

    I am sure you will make it in future and your friend too. Beautiful pictures again.

  2. Unknown

    Hey Aravind,

    An excellent read. This is Subhrajit from http://www.adventureclicknblog.com and we would love to have your blogs listed in our website. We have also launched a credit system for contributions by which contributors can reimburse the points for cool travel stuffs (adventureclicknblog.com/moreblognearn.php). The credit points are a way of saying thank you for your sincere effort and time for writing.

    Regards,
    Subhrajit,
    Subhrajit.ghadei@gmail.com
    0091 8378997510

Leave a Reply